ICA eNews October 21, 2016
Interstitial Cystitis (IC) & Chronic Pelvic Pain News
Thanks to everyone for their very generous donations to the ICA. We are so very grateful and privileged to work on behalf of such a tremendous community. Please keep them coming and we will continue marching on…
Top IC Stories:
- ICA Welcomes New Board Members
- Introducing ICA’s Birthday Club
- Feedback Still Needed – IC AND PT
- Federal Employees – IC Charity in Combined Federal Campaign
- Heavy Periods with Fibroids? Uterine Fibroids Study Seeks Participants
The Latest in IC Research:
- Platelet-Rich Injections, From Patient’s Own Blood, May Hold Promise in Future for IC/BPS
- Nerve Growth Factor is a Biomarker Implicated in Diagnosis of IC/BPS
- Hyaluronic Acid/Chondroitin May Be Superior to DMSO in Women with IC/BPS, Study Finds
- Prior Back Surgery Not A Problem for IC/BPS Patients Who Need Neuromodulation
- Surgical Technique for IC/BPS Works Better When Combined with Hydrodistention
- High-Level Review of Studies Suggests Promise of Botulinum Toxin for IC/BPS
Introducing ICA’s Birthday Club
Birthdays come once a year, but you can change a life FOREVER by pledging your birthday to ICA!
Consider “donating” your birthday this year to continue ICA’s life-changing work on your behalf. Instead of receiving the typical cards and flowers, you can create a personal webpage that invites your loved ones to support IC awareness, advocacy, and research. No wrapping gifts, no finding a stamp to mail a card, plus your friends and family will know their gift is going directly to something that has the power to change your life and millions of others who suffer with IC. In addition, for every dollar you raise, you will get a soft credit that goes toward your annual donor benefits. The more your friends and family give, the more resources you’ll have access to. That is a gift that keeps on giving! ICA even takes care of the thank you note by sending an immediate email acknowledgement for their tax-deductible donation. So this year when you blow out your candles, you know that you are doing your part to help blow out the flames of IC. Pledge your birthday TODAY! #BlowOutIC
Hot Topics from ICA’s Online Support Community
ICA’s Online Support Community is a place of peace, hope, and support and provides comfort for patients, family members, friends, and healthcare professionals in search of better understanding the impact of IC. Below is a list of some current hot topics. Join the growing ICA Online Support Community, where you can be connected to thousands of other people experiencing similar symptoms, situations, experiences, and emotions.
ICA Facebook Page “Post of the Week”
An IC patient reposted a blog about being newly diagnosed with IC, which can be overwhelming and very scary. Luckily, ICA’s website www.ichelp.org has all the information you need to help manage this condition. Read the responses to her post by joining ICA’s Facebook community. With over 30,000 followers currently using this Facebook community, support is just a click away.
ICA Healthcare Provider Registry
For many people with interstitial cystitis (IC), an effective treatment plan requires a team approach, including urologists and other physicians, nurse practitioners, physical therapists, dietitians, and counselors. The ICA Healthcare Provider Registry includes clinicians who have agreed to be a referral source for IC patients. Any registered user of www.ichelp.org has access to this tool. Do you know of other healthcare providers who treat IC patients? Are you a healthcare provider that treats patients with IC and want to be included in the ICA’s Healthcare Provider Registry? Email your name, suffix, specialty, practice name, address, phone number, and website URL to ICAmail@ichelp.org with your request to be included in the ICA Healthcare Provider Registry.
- Physical Therapy – Crested Butte, CO
- Physical Therapy – Nashua, NH
- MD – Pendleton, OR
- Urologist – Ontario, Canada
- Urologist – Smyrna, TX
- Urologist – Phillip Hanno, MD – Moved to Stanford, Palo Alto, CA
IC & Chronic Pain Events
- Support Group – Williamsport, PA – October 24
- Support Group – Syracuse, NY – October 24
- Support Group – Rhode Island – November 9
- Support Group – Monterey, CA – November 12
- Support Group – Miami, FL – November 12
- Phone Support Only – Dedham, MA
- Phone Support Only – Springfield, VA
Do you run an IC support group? If so, please share your information with us so we can post it on the ICA Support Group page. Want to publicize your next group meeting? Please email your information to firstname.lastname@example.org 3-4 weeks prior to the meeting date.
ICA Quick Tip:
The holidays are just around the corner, which means traveling, family, food, and stress! ICA would like to know how YOU handle the holiday season. Have a funny story about a trip gone horribly wrong? Want to share a tip for your favorite seasonal IC-friendly dish? Have an inspirational blog that you would like to share? Got a funny family picture to share? ICA will be publishing some of your stories and photos in a Holiday Survival Guide in the next issue of the ICA Update that will be published in December. Please use email@example.com for all submittals.* In the meantime, check out our travel tips on the website, and don’t forget to order your ICA Restroom Access card.
* When you submit your story and/or photo, you allow the Interstitial Cystitis Association to use your story and/or photo in both online and print formats.
Revised Friday, October 21st, 2016