ICA eNews June 10, 2016
Interstitial Cystitis (IC) & Chronic Pelvic Pain News
Thanks to everyone for their very generous donations to the ICA. We are so very grateful and privileged to work on behalf of such a tremendous community. Please keep them coming and we will continue marching on…
Top IC Stories:
- ICA at the 2016 American Urological Association (AUA) Annual Meeting
- Myths of IC: A 7-Part Series
- Study Seeking Women Who Suffer from IC/BPS
- Short Film on IC in Production
The Latest in IC Research:
- Microbiome May Provide Clues to IC/BPS Diagnosis and Treatment
- Mindfulness May Be A Powerful Adjunctive Therapy for IC/BPS
- Sacral Neuromodulation: Encouraging Results in Patients With Urinary Tract Dysfunction
- Botulinum Toxin Effective for IC/BPS Treatment, Meta-Analysis Shows
- Enzyme-Blocking Agent Relieves IC Symptoms and Markers in Mice
- Novel PAR1 Antagonist Has Promising Results in Early IC Study
- Lower Urinary Tract Tests Could Help Distinguish IC/BPS From Overactive Bladder
- IC/BPS Diagnosis Can Be Simplified and Tailored Using Office-Based Algorithms
Don’t Miss Another Issue of the ICA Update
Miss the last issue of the ICA Update? The ICA Update is an award-winning magazine with in-depth stories about interstitial cystitis (IC) research, treatment, and lifestyle issues. Our next issue on Disability will be published in late summer. If you haven’t already done so, make a donation commitment of $50 or more now to receive your copy of the next issue, and electronic copies of the two most recent issues. If it’s easier for you to make your donation over time, be an angel and consider making a monthly gift now of $10, $20, or $30 or more you will receive the latest issue, plus electronic access to ALL of the past issues. By making a regular monthly donation, you’ll obtain your halo and join others in ICA’s Angel Society. Consider saving a few dollars by making your favorite specialty drink at home, renting a movie rather than going to see one, or fixing yourself a nice dinner at home rather than eating out and redirect those savings each month to ICA. Every gift matters and the convenience of monthly giving multiplies your impact for so many. Your credit card will be charged the amount you designate on the same date each month. Your once-a-month generosity will work every day to ensure early diagnosis and optimal care with dignity for people affected by IC.
Hot Topics from ICA’s Online Support Community
ICA’s Online Support Community is a place of peace, hope, and advice providing comfort for patients, family members, friends, and healthcare professionals looking for ways to better understand the impact of IC. It provides strength in numbers for those living with IC. Below is a list of some current hot topics. Join us in the growing ICA Online Support Community, where you can be connected to hundreds of other people experiencing similar symptoms, situations, experiences, and emotions.
ICA Facebook Page “Post of the Week”
IC can be physically exhausting for many reasons. Getting a good night’s sleep is the most important thing we can do to help our bodies heal and cope with day to day life. Click here to read about IC and sleep. To read the responses to her post, join ICA’s Facebook community and help us keep the conversation going!
ICA Healthcare Provider Registry Additions
For many people with interstitial cystitis (IC), an effective treatment plan requires a team approach, including urologists and other physicians, nurse practitioners, physical therapists, dietitians, and counselors. The ICA Healthcare Provider Registry includes clinicians who have agreed to be a referral source for IC patients. Below is a list of recent additions to the registry.
The ICA Healthcare Provider Registry does not include every healthcare provider who treats people with IC. Do you know of other healthcare providers who treat IC patients? Are you a healthcare provider that treats patients with IC and want to be included in the ICA’s Healthcare Provider Registry? Email your name, specialty, practice name, address, phone number, and website URL to ICAmail@ichelp.org with your request to be included in the ICA Healthcare Provider Registry.
- Physical Therapist – Berkeley, CA
- Physical Therapist – LA, CA
- Physical Therapist – Roswell, GA
- Physical Therapist – Burlington, WA
- Nurse Practitioner – Hershey, PA
- Acupuncturist – East Lansing, MI
- Acupuncturist – Fresh Meadows, NY
- Urogynecology / Gynecological Surgery, Urology – San Francisco, CA
IC & Chronic Pain Events
- Bridge for Pelvic Pain Announces: 1st Annual Pelvic Pain Seminar
- IC Support Group Updates
- Support Group – Miami, FL – July 9th
- New IC Support Group – Monterey, CA
- New IC Support Group – Charlotte, NC
- New IC Support Group – Saint Louis, MO
ICA Quick Tip:
Did you know YOU can start an IC Support Group if there is not one in your area? Having a strong support network can be extremely important when managing a chronic illness like interstitial cystitis (IC). Patients even report lower levels of pain over all when involved in a support group! Starting a group is easy. All you need is the desire to help yourself and other IC patients, and a place to meet. ICA provides you with all the tools you need to be a successful support group leader with our Support Group Leader Kit. Every IC patient needs to know that they are not alone in their fight against IC. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Revised Tuesday, June 7th, 2016