Talking With Your Doctor
To find out if you have interstitial cystitis (IC), talk with your doctor about your symptoms. The first step in finding relief for the pain and discomfort of IC is getting a proper diagnosis. Before your appointment, answer the following questions. Discuss your answers with your doctor.
- Do you have pain and/or pressure in your lower abdomen?
- Do you urinate frequently?
- Do you have an urgent need to urinate day and night?
- Do some foods and/or beverages make your symptoms worse? If yes, which foods and/or beverages?
- Do you find that certain types of exercise make your symptoms worse? If yes, which types of exercise?
- Do you have pain during and/or following sexual intercourse?
- If you are a man, do you have discomfort or pain in the penis or scrotum?
- Do tests of your urine fail to show any signs of bacterial infection?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, talk with your doctor about these symptoms. Ask if you might have IC.
Contact the ICA to find a doctor or healthcare provider in your area.
Revised Tuesday, June 30th, 2015