Talking With Your Doctor
To find out if you have interstitial cystitis
(IC), talk with your doctor about your symptoms
. The first step in finding relief for the pain
and discomfort of IC
is getting a proper diagnosis
. Before your appointment, answer the following questions. Discuss your answers with your doctor.
- Do you have pain and/or pressure in your lower abdomen?
- Do you urinate frequently?
- Do you have an urgent need to urinate day and night?
- Do some foods and/or beverages make your symptoms worse? If yes, which foods and/or beverages?
- Do you find that certain types of exercise make your symptoms worse? If yes, which types of exercise?
- Do you have pain during and/or following sexual intercourse?
- If you are a man, do you have discomfort or pain in the penis or scrotum?
- Do tests of your urine fail to show any signs of bacterial infection?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, talk with your doctor about these symptoms. Ask if you might have IC. Print a PDF on how to talk with your doctor about IC in English
and in Spanish
(Cómo hablar con su médico sobre la CI). Bring this page with you to the doctor.
Contact the ICA to find a doctor or healthcare provider
in your area:
- Healthcare providers in the United States
- List of international providers
Revised June 02, 2011