ICA Pilot Research Program Application
Help us solve the many questions that surround IC!
The Interstitial Cystitis Association (ICA) Pilot Research Grant is a one-year award of $25,000 intended to fund novel and useful basic, clinical, or translational research studies that attempt to solve the many questions of interstitial cystitis (IC). Specific areas of interest are (but not limited to):
- Epidemiology/burden of disease (especially in children)
- Etiology of IC
- Serum or urine markers
- Treatment modalities
- Pain management
- Pregnancy and IC
- Diet and nutrition
Before you start the application, read the award information below. If you have any further questions, please contact ICA at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is February 28, 2014. The award period is June 1, 2014 through May 31, 2015.
Award Details and Requirements
Dates to Remember
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Applicant should have a sponsoring institution.
- Applicant must be able to complete the proposed project within one year.
- Applicant does not hold other research awards for the same or for a similar project.
AWARD DETAILS AND REQUIREMENTS
Awardee(s) will be granted an award of up to $25,000 over one year provided in two equal installments of $12,500. The first installment will be provided to the awardee(s) at the start of the award period (June 1). Funding of the second installment is contingent upon final approval by the ICA Research Committee of both a six-month progress report and final report that must be submitted within 30 days of the conclusion of the award period (May 31, 2015). A final report will not be accepted for any project for which a six month progress report was not approved. The ICA Research Committee must approve any requests for extensions of the reporting/funding period.
The number of awards granted will depend on the amount of funding available and the caliber of proposed projects. The amount of money awarded ultimately depends on the scope and budget of each individual study.
The use of award funds is restricted to research based on the purposes and methodology outlined in the application. No funds may be used toward administrative overhead costs.
Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award. Abstracts, manuscripts, or other articles that reflect research funded by this award must acknowledge support from ICA and copies must be forwarded to ICA.
The award cannot be transferred to another person at the sponsoring institution. Permission for a transfer of sponsoring institution must be authorized by ICA in advance of the event or the award will be terminated on the date the awardee ceases to work at the sponsoring institution to which the award was initially remitted.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their background, their commitment to research, the impact their research project will make in the IC community, and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
The ICA Research Committee, made up of members of the ICA Medical Advisory Board, will review the applications and select award recipients. Applications will be reviewed based only on the written materials submitted. All decisions are final. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. Selection decisions will be announced in April 2014.
- Use the General Information page as the cover page. Print or type responses.
- Include separate typed pages for all additional information using one-inch margins. Put your name (last name, first name) in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section below. Clearly label each piece of additional information.
- Be sure to adhere to page limits. Applications that do not meet the requirements, in content or format, will not be reviewed.
- Please note the award deadline. The completed application, letters of support (if applicable) and other documents must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. The document must be titled by the applicant's last name and first initial only. Hard copies are not permitted. Please email the application to email@example.com with "ICA Pilot Research Program Grant Application" in the subject line.
- Completed applications must be received by ICA by 11:59 PM Eastern time on February 28, 2014.
- General Information—Completely fill out the form on page two. Make this your cover page.
- Abstract of Proposed Research—Briefly describe the research project on page three and provide appropriate signatures.
- Curriculum Vitae—Provide a biographical sketch using the current PHS 398 Form. To access this form, go to www.grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html. Limit to four pages.
- Research Plan—Prepare according to NIH guidelines and include: title, specific aims, research strategy, background and clinical significance, and methods. Begin each section of the Research Plan with a section header. Limit to eight pages, including references.
- Detailed Budget—Provide a detailed budget for the project using the current PHS 398 Form. To access this form, go to www.grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html. The use of award funds is restricted to research based on the purposes and methodology outlined in the application. No funds may be used towards administrative overhead costs.
- Research Facilities—The research environment should be described, including access to patients (if applicable), laboratory space (if applicable), consultants, and technical (including computer) resources. Limit to three pages.
- Research Support—Accounting of all other institutional, federal, and non-federal support is required.
- Institutional Review Board (if applicable)—All human studies require IRB approval. If IRB approval is not necessary or not attached, please state why. Limit to one page.
DATES TO REMEMBER
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 PM Eastern time on February 28, 2014. The completed application and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. The document must be titled by the applicant's last name and first initial only. Hard copies are not permitted. Please email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “ICA Pilot Research Program Grant Application” in the subject line.
The notification date will be mid-April 2014 for a June 1, 2014 start date.
The award period is June 1, 2014 – May 31, 2015.
Posted November 13, 2013